BackBlaze vs Mozy
The fight between Backblaze vs Mozy is on! Every one knows the importance of backing up a hard drive. Every one has had the horrible feeling of their gut sinking down to the bottom of their toes because a sudden computer crash has just caused hours of hard work to disappear.
People store a lot of information on their hard drives. The larger hard drives get, the more data gets stored. In the early days of home computers a hard drive was only about 500 MB. Losing 500 MB of data isn’t the end of the world, but even back then people backed up their hard drives with external drives. This was time consuming and bothersome. Plus, if the external drive held sensitive data, it would have to be locked up in a secure fire and flood proof safe.
All of these problems were eliminated with the invention of cloud computing. All files are automatically backed up safely and securely, plus you get much more than a mere 500 MB of storage. The question now is – which service provider is better?
There are so many online storage providers available, finding the right one can be mind boggling.
|Capacity||Unlimited||1TB (More available by phone)|
|Price||$3.96 – $5.00||$5.99 – $332.5|
|Mobile Access (Compatible Website)|
|Customer Support||Only email||Email, phone, live chat|
|Security||128-bit encryption used||256-bit encryption used|
Features of Backblaze
- Backup – Backblaze will back up everything on the hard drive except for temporary files, applications and the operating system. Files are continuously backed up. Any time a file changes, the new version is automatically backed up with the previous version left intact. Backblaze will keep older file versions for up to 30 days. If at any time a an older version is needed, the user can simply scroll back to the previous version.
- Scheduling – Backups can be scheduled for times that are convenient or instantly with the “Backup Now” option. Otherwise Backblaze will backup continuously.
- Unlimited file size – By default, Backblaze is set to limit files sizes to 4 GB, however, this can be raised or lowered at any time.
- The software works with Windows 7, Vista and XP and Mac 10.5 or higher and both Lion and Leopard.
Features of Mozy
- Backup – Mozy offers file backup and file sync, making it easier than ever to get files to the secure Mozy location online, as well as between computers and mobile devices. All files, including open, locked and Outlook PST files will be backed up. Older file versions can be restored up to 30 days.
- Scheduling – Backups occur automatically when the computer is not in use and scheduled backups can be performed at any specified time of day.
- Unlimited file size – Mozy will back up any file type or size, however for files larger than 100 MB the settings need to be adjusted.
- The software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP, and Mac OS X 10.7, 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4.
Backblaze uses military-grade encryption software. The system generates a new 2048-bit RSA private/public key pairing when the software is installed. The public key is stored on the local disk and the private key is transmitted to the data center over a secure connection. During each backup session a new 128-bit AES symmetric key is randomly generated which is then used to encrypt the data. At the end of the back up session, the key is destroyed and never written to disk.
Mozy uses military-grade 256-bit AES encryption software. The company has completed an SSAE 16 audit and received ISO 27001 certification. Not too many online backup service providers have these verifications, which shows that Mozy takes security very seriously.
Price and Plans
Backblaze has two main plans.
- Unlimited storage.
- External drive support .
- Automatically finds files .
- Locate computer – this is a new feature that allows you to locate a lost or stolen computer.
- Free web restore .
- Restore to USB, flash or hard drive .
- $3.96 per month for 2 years ($95 total).
- $4.17 per month for 1 year ($50 total).
- $5 per month when on auto billing.
Business Plan – This plan has the same benefits and features as the consumer plan for only $50 per year, per computer.
Mozy has four main plans.
- Home plan for 1 computer – 50 GB $5.99 per month.
- Home plan for 3 computers – 125 GB $9.99 per month.
- MozyPro – Business plans are fully customizable. The business customer is able to choose how much storage space they wish to buy and how many computers they would like connected to the service. Prices start at $19.99 per month.
- Enterprise plans are designed for larger companies.
The Backblaze website has a complete “how it works” section, as well as a comprehensive FAQ section, a search-able knowledge base with many subtopics, plus email support. Tech support with Backblaze is offered in 11 different languages, eliminating any language barriers.
Mozy also offers a complete “how it works” section, full FAQ area, search-able knowledge base, online tutorials and community forum. Tech support can be accessed over online live chat, email or by phone. There are offices in countries all over the world, making support available at all hours of the day or night.
|Top 5 Cloud Storage|