SugarSync vs Carbonite
The battle between online storage companies continues. By now, most computer users have heard of cloud computing and understand the importance of backing up files on the cloud. That is where the problem begins. How do you decide which provider to use? A search for online storage and back up service providers will result in hundreds of options. Each one claims to offer the best services for the most affordable prices. Many may seem too good to be true, therefore it is essential to do a bit of research before handing over your credit card number.
Carbonite and Sugarsync are quickly becoming household names, especially Carbonite, since they advertise their services on television. But, which one is really better? This comparison highlights the main features of each to help you decide for yourself.
|Price||$3.96 – $4.17||$59/yr – $149/yr|
|Mobile Access (Website Compatible)|
|Mobile App||iPhone, iPad, Android||iPhone, iPad, Android|
|Customer Support||Email, phone, live chat||Email, live chat. Phone service for $19.95 per year|
|Security||128-bit encryption used||128-bit encryption used|
Features of SugarSync
- Backup – SugarSync backs up and syncs files automatically and continually in the background without interrupting work. PCs and Macs can both be connected to your online account.
- Versioning – Up to five previous file versions are stored and can be restored at any time. Older versions don’t count towards space usage.
- File sharing – Files can be shared with selected recipients. Extra large files are sent as links that the recipient can download to view.
- Mobile access – files can be accessed via iPad, Android, iPhone, iPod touch, Blackberry, Symbian and Windows Mobile.
- Unlimited number of computers and mobile phones.
- Deleted files archived until you manually click to remove them.
- SugarSync WebSync and personal website option.
Features of Carbonite
- Backup – Carbonite home plan offers continuous, real time backups. The Small Business plan also backs up continually, plus backs up external hard drives.
- File Sizes – Files larger than 4 GB aren’t backed up automatically, but you can choose to back them up manually.
- Mobile access – Files can be accessed via iPhone and devices running Android.
- File sharing – There is no file sharing.
- Simple to use and easy to set up.
- Backs up open and locked files.
SugarSync transfers files using a secure TLS (Transport Layer Security) and stores them in the cloud securely encrypted using 128-bit AES. All files are redundantly stored using SAS 70, Type 2 data centers. No one can access the data without exclusive permission from the user.
Carbonite encrypts all files using 128-bit Blowfish encryption before the transfer begins and then sends the data over a SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connection. Users can choose to create their own encryption key. Files remain encrypted at the data centers and are stored on superior-grade redundant disk arrays. The data centers are constantly monitored to ensure uptime and to provide prompt technical support.
Plans and Pricing
- 5 GB free.
- 30 GB for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
- 60 GB for $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.
- 100 GB for $14.99 per month or $149.99 per year.
- SugarSync also offers a special plan for businesses. Read about SugarSync for Business
- All plans have a 30 day free trial.
- One year of unlimited backup – $59.
- Two years of unlimited backup – $109.
- Three years of unlimited backup – $139.
- Small business plan – 250 GB for $229 or 500 GB for $599 per year.
- 15 day free trail.
SugarSync has a complete online help guide, a complete search-able knowledge base, answers to the most popular questions, video tutorials, as well as phone, live chat and email support.
Carbonite offers a complete search-able knowledge base, video tutorials, trouble shooter and how-to guides, as well as support via phone, email or live chat.
Both companies let you try the service for free before you commit to a paid plan. With SugarSync, you never have to commit, as long as you are happy with 5 GB of storage, you can use the free plan for as long as you like.
Another difference you will notice immediately is that Carbonite is primarily a “backup” solution which provides an unlimited amount of off-site backup space for your irreplaceable data. While SugarSync is much, much more. SugarSync syncs your files between devices and allows you to share them with friends, family and co-workers. Plus, SugarSync not only gives you access to your files from anywhere, they enable you to work on them, as well. While Carbonite only lets you view and download, not actually change them online. Carbonite doesn’t give you the option to share files and they don’t sync files.
When choosing the right online backup solution for you needs, it all boils down to what you need from the service. But, for our money, SugarSync is clearly the winner.
|Top 5 Cloud Storage|