SugarSync vs iDrive
SugarSync and IDrive may appear to be very much the same, but there are some major differences that set them apart from one another. Just looking at the main features and the prices, first glance would imply iDrive is a better deal. Once you dig a little deeper you can see this may not be the case.
|Price||$4.99 – $39.99||$4.95 – $79.95|
|Mobile Access (Compatible Website)|
|Mobile App||iPhone, iPad, Android||iPhone, iPad, Android|
|Customer Support||Email, phone, live chat||Email, phone, live chat|
(Only for business subscribers)
|Security||128-bit encryption used||128-bit encryption used|
Features of SugarSync
- Automatic Synchronizing – Sugarsync automatically syncs files across multiple computers. Files will be synced with PCs, Macs, and even PCs with Macs. Simply select the files and folders you want to sync and to where, and the system does the rest.
- Backups – All files are backed up automatically and silently in the background, without disrupting your work. You can rest easy knowing that your valuable data is always saved and up to date.
- Cloud storage – Your data is stored in the cloud so that you can access files from anywhere.
- File sharing – Sharing is easy with share folders. You decide who has access and how much access each person will have.
- File versions – Five versions of your files will be saved, but only the most recent version counts towards your total storage space.
- File archiving – Archived files are not synced or updated. This is merely an added convenience in case you ever need to see old records for any reason, such as tax audits.
Features of iDrive
- Syncing – Syncing files across various devices is available, but it is not part of the backup service. You need a separate syncing account. You also need a separate account for each platform. There is a plan for Windows, one for Macs, one for Linux, one for syncing and another for mobile devices. SugarSync will sync across all platforms without the need for a special account for each device or operating system you have.
- Backing up – Several computers can be backed up with one account. You can also install the iDrive app to capture a photo or live video live and have it backed up immediately.
- Cloud storage – Your files are stored in the cloud so that you can access them from anywhere.
- File sharing – From the web manager interface, you can share files or folders with friends, family and associates. Click on the ‘Share’ icon and set permissions.
- File versions – The last 30 versions of all files backed up to your account are saved and can be restored. Only the most current version counts towards your storage space.
- Manage multiple accounts – Since you need multiple accounts (one for backups and one for syncing), iDrive lets you manage these from one main account over the web.
SugarSync provides 100% secure storage and transfers. Files are sent over the Internet using industry standard TLS (SSL 3.3) encryption. This means that your computer and the company server go through what is known as the “handshake process” – each piece of data is verified as a secure transaction, whether uploading or downloading. Files accessed from a different computer or mobile device go through the same rigorous standards.
IDrive provides you with a system generated encryption key, or you can choose to create your own encryption key. If you choose to use your own, it is not stored by iDrive and is only known to you. The physical storage centers are climate controlled, world class facilities with raised floors, separate cooling zones and braced for protection against earthquakes. The centers are monitored round the clock and feature smoke detectors and fire suppression systems.
Prices and Plans
- Free 5 GB plan.
- 30 GB – $4.99 / month or $49.99 / year 30 day free trial.
- 60 GB – $9.99 / month or $99.99 / year 30 day free trial.
- 100 GB – $14.99 / month or $149.99 / year 30 day free trial.
- A 250 GB plan for a special introductory price of $24.99 / month or $249.99 / year.
- A 500 GB plan for a special introductory price of $39.99 / month or $399.99 / year.
- Multi-user business plans.
- Free 5 GB plan.
- 150 GB for personal use – $4.99 / month or $49.59 / year.
- 500 GB family plan – $14.95 / month or $149.50 / year.
- 100 GB to 1000 GB for businesses – $9.95 to $79.95 / month or $99.50 to $799.50 / year.
At first glance it appears that iDrive offers more storage space for less money than SugarSync, but the system is more complicated to use because you have to have so many different accounts. So, once you add in the cost of all of the accounts you need to get the same service you get with SugarSync, it could end up costing you a lot more. That makes SugarSync the clear winner in our books. Both companies offer 5 GB for free, so why not give them a try to see what you think?
|Top 5 Cloud Storage|