SugarSync vs Mozy
Computers come and go. With technology constantly advancing, it’s hard to resist the temptation to upgrade to the latest and greatest computers available. But, what about all of the pictures and irreplaceable data on your old computer? It could take days to copy all of your files onto portable discs or flash drives. These discs and drives can be lost, stolen or damaged through carelessness, fire or flood. Before you upgrade to a new computer, check out cloud storage.
When all of your important data is stored in the cloud, you can get a new computer as often as you like without losing one piece of irreplaceable data. The only question now is, which cloud storage provider is right for you?
SugarSync, as the name suggests, is really big in syncing files between devices. This allows you to listen to your tunes anywhere, anytime, as well as working on projects from any device. You can start work on the office PC and then open the file from the Mac at home to finish, edit or just have another look.
Mozy is all about secure storage. They are industry leaders when it comes to transferring and keeping data safe and secure. They also have the best customer service around.
|Capacity||500GB||1TB (More available by phone)|
|Price||$4.99 – $39.99||$5.99 – $332.5|
|Mobile Access (Compatible Website)|
|Mobile App||iPhone, iPad, Android||iPhone, iPad, Android|
|Customer Support||Email, phone, live chat||Email, phone, live chat|
|Security||128-bit encryption used||256-bit encryption used|
|Set File Permissions|
Features of Mozy
- Backup – Mozy backs up and syncs files even when they are in use. This assures that files normally kept open, such as Outlook, spreadsheets and other regularly used documents are safely backed up, without interfering with your work.
- Versioning – Older versions of files can be restored for up to 30 days.
- Unlimited file size – Mozy doesn’t limit the size of a file, however this isn’t the default setting. Manual adjustments must be made for files larger than 100 MB.
- The Mozy software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP, and Mac OS X 10.7, 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4.
- Apps available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch and Android.
Features of SugarSync
- Backup – Automatically backs up and syncs any type of files or folders continually in the background without interrupting work.
- Versioning – Up to five previous versions are kept and can be restored. Only the most recent version counts towards space usage.
- File size – Extra large files to be shared are sent to the recipients as links instead of as attachments.
- Apps available for iPad App, Android, iPhone, iPod touch, Blackberry, Symbian and Windows Mobile.
Mozy uses military-grade 256-bit AES encryption software. It is one of the few online storage providers to successfully complete an SSAE 16 audit and obtain ISO 27001 certification. Mozy has taken these extra steps to instill trust in users and to prove that they take data security very seriously.
SugarSync transfers files using a secure TLS (Transport Layer Security) and stores them in the cloud securely encrypted using 128-bit AES.
Prices and Plans
Mozy offers 4 main plans.
- 2 GB free
- Automatic backups
- Access from anywhere
- 50 GB for $5.99 per month.
- Back up for one computer.
- Automatic or scheduled backups.
- Customizable business plans.
- Prices starting at $19.99 per month.
- MozyPro full review
- Custom installations.
- Advanced reporting.
- Larger businesses have their choice of customizable Enterprise plans.
SugarSync also offers 4 membership plans, plus larger business plans are also available.
- 5 GB free.
30 GB Plan
- 30 GB.
- $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.
60 GB Plan
- 60 GB.
- $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.
100 GB Plan
- 100 GB.
- $14.99 per month or $149.99 per year.
SugarSync For Business
- Start with 100 GB of storage and 3 Users for $299.99/year or $29.99/month
- SugarSync For Business full Review
Mozy offers a comprehensive “how it works” section, a full FAQ section, a search-able knowledge base, a variety of online tutorials and a community forum where users can chat and help each other out with problems or concerns. Tech support is available over live online chat, by email or over the phone. The company offers 24/7 U.S. based phone support.
SugarSync has a complete online help guide, divided into categories to make finding an answer quick and easy. There is a search-able knowledge base, a helpful blog and answers to the most popular questions. There are several video tutorials and help over the phone is available, as well.
Both companies offer a free plan as well as full service free trials on all of the different paid plans, so you can try the service without commitment. The around the clock, U.S. based customer service and superior security makes Mozy the winner.
|Top 5 Cloud Storage|